On 4th June, the Albanian National Coordinator for Countering Violent Extremism will hold a regional meeting on the topic of countering violent extremism (CVE) with key stakeholders from the region and beyond, entitled “Going Together and in Partnership on Countering Violent Extremism” – Western Balkans CVE Regional Meeting. The aim of the event will be to foster the partnership and cooperation among the WB countries, through raising the awareness on the needs to properly address violent extremism issues, as an irreplaceable component in the package of measures against terrorism.
In specific, the meeting will have two objectives:
- to bring together key regional stakeholders, from policy-makers, representatives from relevant public institutions to civil society, education, and religious representatives, that can directly contribute to the matter,
- to raise awareness on the need to advance in the efforts to develop community-oriented approaches for countering hateful extremist ideologies that cause radicalization, promote recruitment or incite to violence.
Within the Instrument of Pre-Accession (IPA) II 2017, the regional action “Countering Serious Crime in the Western Balkans”, funded by the EU (DG NEAR) and Germany (German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development), the implementing partners (the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Government, the Italian Ministry of Interior and the Center for International Legal Cooperation (CILC)) are organizing a series of kick-off workshops representing the official start of the project in the Western Balkans.
The overall objective of the project is to improve the security in the Western Balkans and the EU by combatting organized crime and terrorism. Emphasizing the need for awareness raising and cooperation among regional and national capacities to counter serious crimes, which included the recovery of illegal financial gains and the fight against illegal migrant smuggling.
The projects` kick-off workshops in the Western Balkan countries, will be organized as follows:
- Belgrade, Serbia: 19th– 20th February,
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina: 22nd– 23rd February,
- Tirana, Albania: 26th– 27th February,
- Podgorica, Montenegro: 28th– 29th February,
- Pristina, Kosovo (under UNSCR 1244/99): 5th– 6th March,
- Skopje, Republic of Macedonia: 7th– 8th March 2018.
Funded by the EU instrument IPA 2016, the project aims is to empower CSOs and CBOs working with young people and communities to develop youth resilience activities to counter violent extremism through a structured capacity building programme, a grants programme and networking.
In the course of this project, research was conducted into social factors contributing to sustained cohesion of the Albanians.
For more information please visit the UNDP Albania website.
In consultation with the National PVE Coordinator, this project identified stakeholders engaged in VE, as well as VE activities in Albania.
For more information please visit UNDP Albania website.