OSCE-wide Counter-Terrorism Conference is going to take place between 25-26 March in Bratislava, Slovakia. Organized by Slovakia’s 2019 OSCE Chairmanship with the support of the Action against Terrorism Unit of the OSCE Transnational Threats Department, and in close co-operation with other OSCE executive structures, within their respective mandates
This year’s annual OSCE-wide Counter-Terrorism Conference will bring together political representatives, national counter-terrorism co-ordinators, senior experts and practitioners from across the OSCE’s participating States and Partners for Co-operation to take stock of efforts to prevent and counter terrorism as well as violent extremism and radicalization that lead to terrorism (VERLT) in the OSCE area.
Experts from the United Nations and other international, regional and sub-regional organizations as well as civil society and the private sector are also invited to share their experiences and ideas.
Over the course of the two-day conference, participants will explore:
- Advances in international co-operation in countering terrorism and the implementation of good practices in preventing VERLT in the OSCE area
- Platforms that support co-operation and co-ordination between governments and civil society
- Programmes and approaches that help identify, divert and support individuals at risk of radicalization to terrorist violence such as referral mechanisms and pre-criminal interventions
- Prison-based and non-custodial programmes to rehabilitate and reintegrate terrorist offenders while ensuring due prosecution of their criminal actions
For more information please visit OSCE website here.
From 22 to 24 of May 2018, Slovenia will host the eight-international regional conference ‘Counter-Terrorism Challenges in the Region of South Eastern Europe’. The conference will be jointly organized by the Ministry of Defense Republic of Slovenia, Embassy of the United States of America – Defense Cooperation Office and the US Joint Special Operations University from Tampa.
The topic of this year conference will be »Violent Extremism and Radicalization processes as driving factors to terrorism threats on Western Balkans and Security Implications to Europe«.
For more information please visit the conference website here.
The 2018 OSCE-wide Counter-Terrorism Conference on “The Reverse Flow of Foreign Terrorist Fighters (FTFs): Challenges for the OSCE Area and Beyond” will be held from 10 to 11 May 2018 in Rome.
The OSCE-wide Counter-Terrorism Conference will focus on the following topics:
– Trends and Dynamics of Returning or Relocating FTFs: Exchange of Views on National Experiences and International Co-operation
– Managing the Return/Relocation of FTFs: Strengthening Border Security and Information Sharing
– Addressing the Potential Threat of Returning and Relocating FTFs and their Affiliates: Rehabilitation and Reintegration Programs Within and Outside the Criminal Justice System
– Addressing Accompanying Family Members of FTFs: Legal Gaps, Juvenile Justice, Engaging with Civil Society.
For more information about the conference please visit OSCE website here and for the concept paper here.
Within IPA II 2017 Multi-Country Action “Support to Integrative Internal Security Governance in the Western Balkans”, the project entitled “Building Regional Anti- Money Laundering and Counter- Financing of Terrorism Capacity in SEE”, was entrusted to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Regional Programme for South Eastern Europe.
For more information about UNODC Regional Programme for South Eastern Europe, please visit their website here.